This shows the hongi, a traditional Māori greeting, representing the welcome initially given by Māori to the early settlers. In the hongi the hau, the breath or spirit, is shared. New Zealand Quakers were later given the name, Te Hāhi Tūhauwiri, The church (or people) that stands quaking in the wind of the Spirit. Because of their beliefs Quaker settlers in Whakatū Nelson were keen to develop respectful and peaceful relationships with the tangata whenua, the indigenous people.
For Māori of Whakatū, as for other iwi, the features of their tribal land were bound up with their identity and belonging.
One of the features of the tribal area, the Mahitahi river, now runs through the town of Nelson. It was mapped in 1842 by the Quaker surveyor, Frederick Tuckett and referred to at the time as the Maitai.
The tūī is a significant endemic passerine native bird, referencing here the hongi. Europeans who first colonised New Zealand called it the Parson Bird due to the tufts around its neck. The tūī was chosen by the artist and embroiderer for its association with beauty, confidence and spiritual harmony.
The thrush was introduced during Queen Victoria's reign, and is shown here wearing her crown.
The 'Will Watch' brought early settlers to Nelson in 1841, including the Quaker surveyor Frederick Tuckett. Other ships followed with Quakers including Samuel Stephens, John Cotterell and Isaac Hill.
The (unofficial) arms of the New Zealand Company, formed by E.G. Wakefield to facilitate settlement. The NZ Company employed the Quaker surveyors Cotterell, Tuckett and Hill.
Early Quaker settlers, the Strong family, contributed to local employment by commissioning unemployed settlers after the collapse of the NZ Company. They provided work in the wool and flax industry as well as in construction and boat building.
John Sylvanus Cotterell was one of four Quaker surveyors in the early days, and found the Tophouse route through to the Wairau Valley. He enjoyed good and respectful relations with local Māori, but was killed during the 1843 Wairau conflict, despite being unarmed. After his death his house, shown here, became the first dedicated Quaker Meeting House.
Trees were felled and the land was cleared by the settlers. The NZ Company proposed that Māori would be given a tenth share of land allocations, but this promise was never fully acted upon.
The Mangopare symbol depicts the hammerhead shark. This was chosen to symbolize Māori strength and tenacity, strong will and fighting spirit.
This Chatham Islands forget-me-not references the peace covenant of Moriori, and also the Quaker Peace Testimony. Designer and artist Lizi Mcleod-Taepa had a long commitment to Peace. She was hugely humbled and inspired when invited to participate in the Moriori Peace Congress at Rēkohu/Chatham Islands.
On the left side of the image are shown native flora, including tōtara and kōwhai.
On the right side of the image are introduced species including oak, gorse, teasel, blackberry and others.
South Island native bee.
Introduced bumble bee, brought here to pollinate crops such as red clover. They also pollinate flowers which honey bees can't.
The Fifeshire was the first NZ Company settlers ship to arrive in Nelson, on 1st February 1842, this day being commemorated as Anniversary Day. It was wrecked a few weeks later as it was leaving Nelson. Quaker Samuel Strong used parts from the wreckage to help create employment after the NZ Company folded.
The koru or fern frond depicted here symbolizes new beginnings. The koru is an integral symbol in Māori art, where it symbolizes new life, growth, strength and peace.
The anchor has double symbolism here. We are anchored to our past, present and future; and for embroiderer Patricia Morrisey, the anchor recalls the brand of thread used.